09 February 2015

Grapevine Stitch - Golden Bright Winter Cowl



Not feeling the greatest today, so I thought I might catch up on posting about a cowl I finished last week. I found the original base stitch for this on Knitting Stitch Patterns. Didn't know until recently that my friend really loves this colour, so I thought to myself, "why not knit a beautiful golden yellow cowl for my friend?" Bwa ha ha! As always, to prevent the possibility of edges curling, I added a knit border throughout.

Materials:
-knitting needles, size 6.5 mm or US 10.5
-steel yarn needles, size 7cm (for sewing finished ends together)
-2 balls of Loops and Threads Charisma yarn (yellow colour; 100m/ball)

This pattern is knitted in a multiple of 8 + 3 stitches.

k = knit
p = purl
yo = yarn over
k2tog = knit 2 together
ssk = slip slip knit
 
Cast on 45 stitches.

Row 1-5: knit

Row 6 and all odd-numbered rows: k5, purl until last 5 stitches, k5

Row 8: k6, *k2tog, k1, yo, k1, ssk, k2; rep from * to the last 7 stitches, k7

Row 10: k5, *K2tog, k1, (yo, k1) twice, ssk; rep from * to last 8 stitches, k8

Row 12: k7, *yo, k3, yo, k1, ssk, k1; rep from * to last 6 stitches, k6

Row 14: k9, *k2tog, k1, yo, k1, ssk, k2; rep from * to the last 12 stitches, k2tog, k1, yo, k1, ssk, k6

Row 16: k8, *k2tog, k1, (yo, k1) twice, ssk; rep from * to the last 5 stitches, k5

Row 18: k7, *k2tog, k1, yo, k3, yo, k1; rep from * to the last 6 stitches, k6

Repeat rows 6-18 until desired length is reached, then knit the next five rows and cast off.

These are images showing the length of the cowl after casting-off:





This is an image of the other side of the pattern:


I folded the piece in half and the cowl is about 33 cm or 13 inches wide:




And finally, after sewing the ends together, here is the final product! It definitely adds some sunshine to an otherwise gloomy, winter day. Oh happy day!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...